Primrose Gardens Community Meeting Minutes
Date: Oct. 3, 2022
Facilitators: Trish, Leonard, Timea, Kevin, Elke (Apex Pharmacy), Judith
Residents in Attendance: 43
Welcome and opening comments by Trish. This is the first PG Community Meeting since June (summer break). Community Meetings will resume every second month.
Introduction of Elke Groening, Owner & Pharmacist of Apex Pharmacy -located inside Pavilion building: Apex’s services are great resource for Menno Place residents.
- Update on the next flu and COVID vaccine in mid-November.
- New COVID bivalent booster by Moderna – covers original and Omicron variants.
- Services to Menno residents include prescription deliveries, blister pill packs, etc.
- Apex Pharmacy Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday 8:30-5pm. Close weekends and Statutory holidays.
- Dispensing Fee: $10 as dictated by BC PharmaCare, no markup.
- Waiting period for booster after getting COVID: minimum 3 months.
- Thankful Party: Wednesday, Oct. 5th at 2:30pm with ‘The Acchords’ performance in the Dining Room.
- Hearing Clinics: Every Thursday at 3:30pm in the Activities Room.
- Free Shuttle for Advanced Voting Polls: Thursday, Oct. 6th: We will run 2 shuttles to the polling station (old courthouse by City Hall). Meet in lobby at 9:15am or 2pm, for those wanting to vote.
- Bus trip to Fort Langley Cranberry Festival: Saturday, Oct. 8th. Please sign up for bus trips with Claire/Reception.
- Bus trip to BC Ferries: 8:30am Thursday, Oct. 13th. Very popular! Sign up with Claire. The BC Ferry cruise is free for seniors so cost is only bus shuttle at $20 per person.
- More bus trips coming soon to Walmart, Vancouver Aquarium, etc.
- Prayer Shawl Group: 10am Thursday, Oct. 13th, Activities Room.
- Church of God in Christ Choir Group: Performance in Dining Room, 7:30pm Wednesday, Oct. 12th.
- Gospel Brass Band: Performance in Dining Room, 6:30pm Tuesday, Oct. 25th.
- Activities Reminder: Group activities highlighted in yellow, exercises (in-person and on Menno TV), Java Club, Bingo, Choir Group, etc.Suggestions and comments:
- Please allow time between activities, such as finishing painting class with enough time to attend the Community Meeting. Several residents missed first part of the meeting. Action item: Trish to coordinate with Recreation team.
- Reminders for Bible Study, etc. – please include during noon meal announcements. Action item: Recreation and Reception.
- TV program in the Activities Room – Update on programs in the works, including movies.
Chaplain Programs (Kevin):
- Henry’s Bible Study: Tuesdays at 10am in Activities Room
- Prayer Group: Fridays at 9am (Activities Room)
- Fellowship: Tuesdays at 2:30pm (Activities Room)
- New series: Classic Hymns and its influences. Stay tuned for details.
- Kevin is always available for 1-to-1 visits. Call Kevin directly to set up.
- Saturday evening service (Ch. 10): Have not broadcasted as scheduled, sometimes hours later. Action item: Kevin to follow-up.
- Audio for Channel 10 Sunday Chapel Service: Kevin is still working on this glitch. Thank you for your patience.
COVID Update (Trish):
All recent COVID+ residents have recovered. We have no new COVID in the Apartments at this time.
Leonard’s Quick Updates:
- Recent power outage due to blown transformer: Thank you to everyone who called the after-hours emergency phone number to report outages – this is perfect use of the emergency building number and lets us know what’s happening after-hours/weekends.
- What happens in a power outage and why only partial power? The generator on campus provides essential backup power (partial) to residents. Please do not flip the breakers on/off during power outage because they often get forgotten to flip back properly once power is restored.
- Activities Room rental: Primrose and Pavilion Activities Rooms are available to rent for private functions again. Signs will be posted for private bookings. Please contact Claire/Reception to book room for your private events. (Note: Terrace East is under Public Health protocols so the TE room will not be available to rent at this time.)
- Guest Suite rental: Not available yet. Currently used to provide emergency housing for staff.
- Air Conditioning removal: Please wait until after Thanksgiving to request removal of air conditioners for end of season. Optional: you may leave A/C hooked up year-round if you have the space.
- Elevator Capacity: COVID restrictions have eased, but please use common sense and leave room to move walkers around in elevator. Help each other out, if needed. Please do not use your cane to press the elevator buttons for sanitary reasons.
- Pet Policy: Pets are allowed for residents with appropriate pet applications and damage deposit. Visitors are allowed to bring pets in to visit, but no pets in the Dining Room.
Health and Safety Reminders (Trish):
- ‘Greensleeves”: This ‘greensleeve’ placed on your fridge holds your emergency information for the paramedics. It’s important to keep information updated with any medications, allergies, DNR, and family emergency contacts. We will hold an info session this fall and provide a MOST form to be completed by your doctor to place in the greensleeve as part of the medical documents. Judith to coordinate with Recreation for informal ‘info session’ to check IL residents’ Greensleeves and provide a MOST form.
- I’M AWAY Signs: Reminder to hang these signs when you plan to be away and out of the building such as doctor’s appointment, visiting with family. Not needed if you are physically in the building doing activities or in dining room.
Supper program (Trish):
This will stop at end of October. We want to re-envision the supper program and will meet with Angela to create a better offering. In the meantime, residents are welcome to join the Terrace building residents for suppers. This is a monthly package commitment, not a la carte.
Open Discussion to Floor:
- Reception: Currently, Claire splits time between Primrose and Terrace buildings. We are reviewing possibility of having Claire or someone stay in PG rather than back and forth. Action item: Trish and leadership.
- Grounds: The plants are dying and need watering and care. Should we go to the Board? Lack of rain and re-shifting of Grounds staffing are being addressed. Action item: Trish and Maintenance.
- Hoses visible, but no visible watering: We have installed self-watering pots this summer. Please do not turn on hose valves as these are on timers.
- Better communication when residents have gone to hospital or moved to long-term care: We must adhere to privacy when sharing information, but we will update if we are able to publicly share.
- Dirty Compost Bins: Who does the cleaning and upkeep of compost bins? Action item: Trish to follow-up with Maintenance.
- Recycling Confusion and Glass in garbage or not: If glass is broken, put in garbage; if in-tact, put in recycling. We will add a container for glass recycling, and post signs to help sort recyclable items. *Note: Electronics are picked up once a month. Action item: Judith/Bas/Leonard.
- Water drainage issues – who to call? Notify Reception to submit a maintenance request.
- Suggestion/Comment Box: You are welcome to use this to submit your comments or suggestions and we will address as soon as possible. Ideally with your name and suite #, but can submit anonymously if preferred.
- HVAC issues – Dining Room temperature can be very cold at times: We are aware of pockets of cold/hot air. Leonard will follow-up with Maintenance.
Meeting adjourned. Next meeting in November – date TBA.